09 July 2008

At last added a Custom Domain from GoDaddy.com to Blogger!!!

Advertisements

As I am blogging since last 1 year I know the importance of having your own domain.

I changed to custom domain on the 2nd day of starting the blog at Blogger,because if I've done that later,it would have resulted in a great drop in my traffic and low rankings on the search engine result pages.

I choose Godaddy.com for registering a domain,because it's cheapest, safe, and has partenered with Blogger for providing custom domains.But it costs $10/domain per year if you purchased it through Blogger.Thats why I purchased it directly from GoDaddy.com using some promo coupons and got the domain registered for 5 years for $35.75 only.

So you have registered a domain with GoDaddy.com, next -

  1. Login to your account at GoDaddy.com .
  2. Click on "Manage Domains".
  3. Click on your domain where you want to host your Blogger blog.
  4. There will be one option availabe - "Total DNS Control And MX Records".(Note- You will not get this option unless you click on your domain.)
  5. There will be a record prefixed - "www",in front of it there will be edit option(image of a pencil), click it.
  6. In the option "Point to Host" - enter this - "ghs.google.com".Please DO NOT change anything. Click ok.
  7. That's it you have added google's server to your domain.
  8. Now if you want to can check whether everything is fine or not,open Command Prompt(Start>Run>Command).
  9. Type - "ping www.yourdomain.com" and press enter.
  10. If everything is ok you will a response like this -
    Pinging ghs.1.google.com [72.14.207.121] with 32 bytes of data: Reply from 72.14.207.121: bytes=32 time=85ms TTL=247 Reply from 72.14.207.121: bytes=32 time=89ms TTL=247 Reply from 72.14.207.121: bytes=32 time=86ms TTL=247 Reply from 72.14.207.121: bytes=32 time=86ms TTL=247 Ping statistics for 72.14.207.121: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 85ms, Maximum = 89ms, Average = 86ms
  11. Now everything is done add your custom domain to your Blogger blog.
This way I got my blog address changed from "the-webmasters-blog.blogspot.com" to "webmasters-blog.com".(I must rather say "www.webmasters-blog.com",because Blogger can add either "www.webmasters-blog.com" or "webmasters-blog.com" to my blog,and I preferred first.)

Update:
I was completely unaware that with Godaddy domain I've got a Free Godaddy Hosting Account,hence I added it to Blogger.
But now I've decided to Host another Wordpress Blog at the Godaddy Domain - www.webmasters-blog.com and also have one Blogger blog => free-blogger-help.blogspot.com

Related Posts

12 comments

October 24, 2008 at 10:45 AM

Thank you for this guide. I wonder who guided you, but I am satisfied I don't need to worry for my own self regarding what I have to to to register my blog with GoDaddy.

September 6, 2010 at 7:45 AM

Okay thank you for this tips,

But i have one doubt,

Blog is not permanent,

If i buy custom domain that will be permanent?

i think you understand my question - this my email id : seo.dinakaran@gmail.com

September 7, 2010 at 6:24 AM

Yes. You have to renew the time period limit.

March 26, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Why does the traffic drops if you select a custom domain say 4 months later ?

March 27, 2012 at 12:30 AM

@Lahaul Seth
http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=66356

April 8, 2012 at 9:17 PM

yaa it is tru iam using gogle hosting for all domins in bigrock also

Anonymous
July 10, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I have a .co.in domain...Will my blog traffic drop if I buy a new .com domain and link it to my blog ??? I need your advice ....My blog is about 8 months old

July 10, 2012 at 11:43 PM

@ Anonymous
Yeah your traffic will drop. But it will increase soon as you will redirect it.

Anonymous
July 11, 2012 at 8:45 PM

What do you mean by redirect ? At present my blogspot address is redirecting to the .co.in domain. Now, when I buy the .com domain then my blogspot address will redirect to the .com domain.Do you mean it like that or do you mean that the .co.in domain will redirect to the new .com domain ? I don't want to keep the .co.in domain. And also my sitemap is submitted to Webmasters tools using the .co.in domain. What should I do about that if I buy a new domain ? Please advise..... Thanks in advance

July 12, 2012 at 12:38 AM

In your older .co.in domain settings page set 1 month redirect.

For sitemap help read:

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=83105

Anonymous
July 12, 2012 at 6:57 AM

Ok thanks for your help ...just one more question. Will the .com domain receive greater amount of traffic than the .co.in domain ?

July 13, 2012 at 1:39 AM

yeah, .com is universally acclaimed

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More